Encountering Racism Down Under: Antipodean perspectives on the construction of tolerance and white sovereignty
23-29 April 2012
Universities of Leeds, Cape Town, Sydney and Southampton
- Ghassan Hage (1998) ‘Good White Nationalists: The Tolerant Society as a White Fantasy’, in White Nation: Fantasies of White Supremacy in a Multicultural Society, Sydney: Pluto Press, pp. 78-116.
- Aileen Moreton-Robinson and Fiona Nicoll (2006) ‘We Shall Fight Them on the Beaches: Protesting cultures of white possession’, Journal of Australian Studies 89: 149-186.
Convenors and Discussants
- Say Burgin, University of Leeds (Network Convenor)
- Madeline-Sophie Abbas, University of Leeds (Network Convenor)
- Daria Tkacz, University of Southampton (Convenor)
- Lwando Scott, University of Cape Town (Convenor)
- Tristan Enright, University of Sydney (Convenor)
- Rebecca O’Brien, University of Sydney (Lead Discussant)
- Rebecca Williamson, University of Sydney (Lead Discussant)
This seminar took place via a discussion on the En/countering Whiteness blog, allowing anyone with an interest in these issues to access the discussion.
As with our previous virtual seminars, discussions centred around two texts chosen by the conveners and a set of discussion points.
More information on this virtual/blog-based seminar can be found in the circular:
En/countering Whiteness: Critically discussing the working of racial practices and racial inequalities
Available at: http://encounteringwhiteness.wordpress.com/